This year, we officially launch a new team that we are calling our ‘Australian Intercultural Team’.
This team brings together our long-term ministry in Outback Australia among First Nations people and our emerging work among intercultural communities in urban and regional Australia.
“Baptist Mission Australia is increasingly welcomed to play a pivotal role in intercultural mission not just overseas, but also throughout our diverse nation. We acknowledge that the nations have come to our land and take joy in the vibrant tapestry of cultures and religions existing in Australia today. This as an exciting opportunity to spread the message of Jesus in new and creative ways.
Responding to this, our vision encompasses various initiatives:
We envision a growing team of practitioners and educators ministering in a variety of contexts, while at the same time coming alongside the Australian church to strengthen its capacity for intercultural mission.” - Andrew Duncan, Team Leader
- Supporting churches and pastors in expanding their missional imagination
- Offering consultancies and ongoing coaching to help them overcome cultural and religious barriers in reaching diverse communities
- Engaging with international students on university campuses
- Strengthening engagement with First Nation Christian leaders
- Forging new partnerships with diverse intercultural communities nationwide
- Raising up the next generation of intercultural team members to serve here and around the world
“The Outback team works across five remote Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory. Each of the communities are unique and filled with a breathtaking mix of joy and sorrow.
Learning, listening, encouraging, discipling, praying, loving and living are at the core of what we do in the Outback. Please pray for the Holy Spirit to continue transforming hearts and lives, as only He can, in these traditional homelands of some of Australia’s First Peoples.” - Shannon, Team Member
Ministry in these communities is varied too, but at the core of it all is our value of walking with people as they discover and embrace their own distinctive ways of following Jesus.