Approx 30 Minutes
Water is of great significance not just in the Bible, but also in our daily lives both in Australia and all around the world. Water is essential for all living beings, including plants and animals.
Water represents life, refreshment, fertility and birth. In the Bible, there are many references to water, such as Jesus turning water into wine, baptism, the Holy Spirit, and several other occurrences that emphasise the spiritual and physical significance of water.
What you will need:
- Small, flat rocks
- Sealing paint, spray or white primer paint
- Acrylic paints and brushes
- Permanent markers in different colours
- Tub of water (1 for each person / group)
- Drying cloth
- Choose some small, flat rocks and wash them clean before you begin. When the rocks are dry, use a brush or spray to seal the rock, or prime the rock with white paint.
- Prepare a tub of water that is large enough to place your hands inside. Fill it with warm water.
- Open with a word of prayer. Invite the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts and help you pray for the least-reached people.
- Read through the following list of Bible passages relating to water and choose one that resonates with you.
- Take the rock and using acrylic paints or markers, you can write the name of a place where Baptist Mission Australia workers are located. Or you can draw pictures related to those places.
- When your rock is dry, hold it in your hands. As you place the rock into the water, pray the words of the Bible passage over the people group. Ask God to provide spiritual cleansing, and give them His living waters to their nation. Ask God to provide refreshment and strength to the intercultural workers and the people around them.
Rock illustration ideas:
- Malawi: Orchids, lotus, elephants, hippos, antelopes, buffaloes, monkeys, rhinos, parrots, owls.
- Mozambique: Bell Bean flowers, warthog, hippos, giraffes, antelopes, elephants, lions, flamingos.
- Silk Road Area: Tulips, lilies, wolves, red foxes, snow leopards, sheep.
- Central Asia: Peony flowers, bamboo, moose, bears, monkeys, tigers, leopards.
- South Asia: Water lilies, roses, tigers, leopards, monkeys, rhinos, deer, kingfisher birds.
- Indochina: Orchids, lotus, jackfruit, tigers, monkeys, turtles, pheasants.
- Thailand: Golden shower flower, orchids, tigers, cats, deer, elephants, leopards.
- Cambodia: Romduol flower, jasmine, lotus, elephants, dolphins, turtles, deer, tigers.
- South East Asia: Frangipani, orchid, jasmine, tigers, rhinos, orangutans, elephants.
Bible passages relating to water:
- John 4:13-14 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
- Isaiah 12:3 With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
- John 7:38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’”
- Isaiah 44:3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
- Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.
- Matthew 10:42 And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”
- Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptised and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’
- John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptised into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
- Isaiah 12:2-3 “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.